October 2016 Challenge

Tea Room Challenge Topic
Write a Story, Drabble or Ficlette about the Picture below

                                                                                       ~ Two Solitudes by Steve Walker

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Leather

Written for the September 2011 Tea Room Leather Challenge

Leather
by Carol


"What's this?" Dillon asked, holding something. I stopped what I was doing to look at it.

"It's the leather apron that my great-grand dad used when he made horse shoes, or when he shod a horse. 

"What about this?" he asked. `How am I supposed to box stuff for an antique sale if he keeps stopping me?' I thought, as I looked up, puzzled at what he held.

"A harness, I think," I told him, going over toward him for a better look.

"Too small," he said, as he examined it at eye level. I took it from him, and turned it this way and that way. It's made of soft calf leather . . . one long strip, with three small strips . . . one on each end and one in the middle; little buckles were on the end of them, with fine delicate gold stitching and the word MINE stamped on the main strip. Dillon's gaze was on me, as I glanced back at him. 

Ewwwwwwwwww, gross, I'm not touching that," he stated, going back to his box. 

I smiled to myself, `Oh yes you will.' I thought, and shoved it in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment